Need some fast tips to get subscribers? We studied the top five most liked videos from YouTube personality Jenna Marbles so we can offer you a list of tips to help you organically gain subscribers and fast!
Jenna Marbles is a huge YouTube personality, currently approaching 20 million subscribers! She is truly the sweetheart of YouTube. Everyone who watches her channel can't help but fall for her hilarious sense of humor and kind-hearted character. She is also a classic YouTuber, being on the platform since 2006 and uploading her very first video in 2008. She's been around for awhile and seen it all. Her videos, however, never feel stale. She's managed to stay relevant on YouTube for years and is still gaining subscribers like wildfire. How does she do it?
We want to answer this question in today's article by taking a deep dive into five of Jenna's videos with the most likes relative to dislikes. This makes them not necessarily the most viewed videos, but rather the most liked videos on her channel. Let's learn together what elements are promoting Jenna's videos to be loved by so many, and use what we learn to increase your own channel's views and subscribers.
How to Get More Subscribers on YouTube: Tips from Jenna Marbles' Most Liked Videos :
1. Stay up to date
Jenna begins this festive video saying, "I've seen on the Internet people getting picture of their pets with Santa". This is right where the fun begins. As we all know, Jenna has three fur babies, Peach, Marbles, and Kermit. In this video, Jenna decides to take middle child Kermit to the mall for pictures with Santa because it's what was popular online that December.
The lesson to learn here is that it's important to stay connected to the online world, especially what people are posting on social media and what's trending on YouTube. This is how Jenna has stayed incredibly relevant on YouTube over the years. She's constantly following what's happening online and recreating some part of that in her videos. She can make a viral video almost every time she uploads! Note that sometimes (frequently, in fact) she's the trend setter herself, so as a YouTuber, Jenna should be on your radar if you want to stay in touch with YouTube trends.
Following online trends will help you create content that is relevant and cutting edge, so bringing in new subscribers will be easy! Use other social media platforms (Twitter is great) and make alerts for certain topics. For example, if you're a beauty YouTuber, keep notifications turned on for major brands in case of any breaking news or product launches—you want to be one of the first to jump on a trend and turn it into a video, if you can.
Most Liked Video No. 1 - Taking My Dog To Meet Santa
Best ways to stay in touch with online trends:
1. Turn on Twitter notifications for important accounts you follow.
2. Check the YouTube trending page.
3. Click the bell button to be notified when important YouTubers who you follow upload a new video.
4. Check the Moments tab on Twitter for daily breaking trends and news.
5. Turn on the Twitter "Trends" function to get personalized trend reports based on your location and who you follow.
2. Be real—keep viewers in the loop
We find it amazing that Jenna's second most liked video, with over three million views and 271 thousand likes, was entirely a sit down, talk to the camera video. There's something to be learned here.
First, let's talk about the video topic. Jenna was announcing to her followers that little Chihuahua Marbles, who at 10 years old is a senior pup, had surgery to remove all of his teeth due to dental issues. This is obviously a very personal, very sensitive topic to Jenna as Mr. Marbles is her beloved pet who has been around since the dawn of her channel.
Most Liked Video No. 2 - Mr. Marbles Is Toothless
- Question: Why was this video so well received?
- Answer: The video stuck to one point in content and style.
This was a sit down video through and through. Jenna started and ended the video simply talking straight to the camera and informing viewers of what happened with Marbles.
If you make it clear from the get-go that you're going to be updating viewers and the video's content will be simply you talking to them one-on-one, then viewers will be mentally prepared to sit and listen for awhile. If you have a lot of action cuts and transitions, viewers will get distracted and lose interest in the main point of your video, which should be to update them on something relevant.
Take a lesson from Jenna and simply sit down and talk to your viewers sometimes. Regardless of your channel genre, be it gaming or cooking, viewers are interested in you as a person and your life, always. As subscribers grow to love your channel, they also form a relationship with you. Just like you check in on your friends from time to time, viewers want to check in with you and know what's happening in your life.
3. Don't be afraid to follow trends
Does anyone remember the glitter beard trend? How about beardaments?
Back in 2016, big beards were not only in, they were basically the hottest fashion accessory for men. So it was only natural that putting shiny things into your facial hair became an Internet phenomenon. Also around that time was when Jenna's Ratchet Salon was in full swing, so these two trends came together in beautiful harmony one day when Jenna uploaded this video:
Most Liked Video No. 3 - Christmas Glitter Beard DIY
There's a lot we can learn from Jenna's Ratchet Salon, whether it be making dog costumes or acrylic nails, but what we're interested in is why this video has achieved well over 100 thousand likes with only a handful of thumbs down.
- Question: What made people love this video?
- Answer: A lot of it has to do with timing.
The beard trend was booming, Jenna's ratchet salon was in high demand, and Jenna capitalized on both of these to bring out a video that people went crazy for. What we learn is that sometimes it pays to follow trends rather than always trying to set yourself apart from the crowd.
The three top takeaways are:
1. Plan your video releases strategically: Sure it's fine to revive past trends, and sometimes this can work really well, but also try to release videos as soon as you can if they're honing in on a hot trend. The built-in audience for that trend will be most active in the early days of the trend's popularity.
2. Choose trends carefully: Remember the tide pod challenge? Need we say more? Be wise when choosing to jump on a bandwagon.
3. Take your time: You don't need to jump on each and every trend that pops up. The glitter beard was perfect for Jenna's channel because of her salon videos, so try to choose a video trend that suits your current style and audience niche.
4. Edit, edit, edit
Although this video ranked number four, we have to say it's one of our personal favorites. Titled, ""How To Care For Your Cermet 2"", this video stands at over 6 million views and nearly a quarter of a million likes, and the thumbs down are a modest 934 at the time of writing this article.
That thumbs up to thumbs down ratio makes this a fan favorite video, and interestingly Jenna isn't even in this video until the very end! The video's star is Italian Greyhound Kermit, who is the middle child in Jenna's dog family but very much loved by all of Jenna's viewers. Most clips were shot inside Jenna's house and feature Kermit partaking in various forms of play and mischief.
Most Liked Video No. 4 - How To Care For Your Cermet 2
The editing is what makes this video fun and special. There's a voiceover from Jenna which plays along with a cheerful tune and clips of her dogs. Style-wise, this video is very different from Jenna's ordinarily talkative videos. She took a leap with a new form of editing and it really paid off! We recommend changing up your content from time to time like Jenna did with this video. Below we'll explore some Jenna-inspired editing tips that will hopefully help you find new forms of creativity for your channel."
How to edit videos like Jenna
Let's look at how Jenna edits her videos and see what we can learn!
These are the four primary elements that comprise a classic Jenna Marbles-style video:
- Simplicity: When Jenna films beauty or sit down and talk videos, the set up is always very simple. She doesn't have a background or even special lighting. Classically, it's just Jenna and her camera at the kitchen table. The success of these kinds of videos proves that you don't need a fancy set up to make great content. Don't stress too much if you don't have a beautiful background and ring lights—if your content is entertaining, you can simply sit down and film as long as viewers can see and hear you clearly.
- Jump cuts: Jenna is definitely a fan of jump cuts. Trimming your footage strategically is highly important especially if you're making humorous content. Try watching some of Jenna's videos and focusing solely on her jump cuts to see what we mean. They're sometimes subtle while other times they're super choppy, jumping between clips second by second at times. Jump cuts used frequently will keep the flow of the video constantly attention grabbing.
- Background music: Jenna doesn't always use music in her videos, but when she does, it's usually a jolly tune. Nothing booming or over dramatic. To edit like Jenna, add in a light-hearted song on low volume to the background sound of your video. Let the same one song play throughout your video to keep it feeling cohesive.
- Zoom: Jenna uses zoom edits with hilarious success. Study her zoom technique to learn how to amuse viewers. The zoom is usually used to slow down the pace of her video and emphasize something, such as her face or an object in the video.
5. Make creative collabs
Most Liked Video No. 5 - Turning My Boyfriend Into A Bratz Doll
Jenna's boyfriend, Julien Solomita, is such a good sport and we love whenever they share the screen together. In our final most liked video, "Turning My Boyfriend Into A Bratz Doll", Jenna ropes her ever-willing boyfriend into sitting down with her for a very special makeover. Julien is transformed by the power of makeup into a Bratz Doll, and the results aren't half bad. This video combines one of our previous tips, following trends, with our final tip: Make creative collaborations to find a new audience for your channel. A new audience equals a whole pool of new potential subscribers, and collaborations are the best way to find this new audience. We recommend collaborating with other YouTubers who have a similar follower count and make videos in the same genre as yours.
Below we will cover some of proven collaboration tips to help you with your next collab venture on YouTube!
Tips for the best collaborations:
1. YouTube recommends preparing your channel ahead of time for new viewers before collaborating. They advise setting up the "visual aspects of your channel with a banner, icon, name, and sections that will help new viewers understand what you're all about."
2. Choose to work with collaborators who's content mimics your own. This means their quality of production is similar to yours and you enjoy watching their videos.
3. Don't overextend yourself. A collaboration should feel natural. Do you think your viewers will enjoy watching a video with the collaborator you've chosen? Does the video you're going to make give new viewers a good idea of the type of content they can expect from you? Consider the answers to these questions carefully.
4. YouTube recommends cross-promoting videos with your collaborator. This means you each upload a video, such as a two-part series with one part on each channel, and then you guide your viewers to watch the other video on each other's channels. This is a great technique for introducing new viewers to your channel, and by using two related videos, you can guide them easily from one channel to the next. We recommend labeling the first video "Part 1" and the second "Part 2", so viewers will have to watch both videos to get the full story.
5. To make new viewers subscribe to your channel the easiest solution is simply ask them to subscribe in the video you make. Remember to keep uploading new content, especially after releasing a collaboration video! You want to hook new viewers on your content and keep them interested.
6. Aspiring to be like Jenna?
Jenna Marbles is a great role model to have. She's generous, kind, and caring. As a YouTuber, she's incredibly entertaining to watch. We never get tired of her uploads, clicking as soon as we get the notification.
We hope you found this guide useful to learn how to get more subscribers for your YouTube channel! We have other articles based on a variety of YouTubers, including Markiplier and James Charles. So check them out!